Thank you for choosing to play with Thunder Beach at Park Lanes. Both
Thunder Beach and Park Lanes want you, your family, friends and
co-workers to enjoy your time at our complex. We will work very hard
to make your experience a great one.
Directions To Thunder Beach
Thunder Beach is located at 7701 Renner Road. 913-238-0034 We are right off
435 and Midland road. When you get off 435 go East to Renner Road (approx.
2 blocks)Turn south and go up around the hill. We are right across the street
from Shawnee Mission State Park.
• Everyone watches and plays at their own risk!
• It is each individuals responsibility to check out the Thunder Beach facility, the playing conditions and the programs, and to report their concerns, if any, to
the Thunder Beach representative at that complex and then refuse to play or
participate in any manner, in a Thunder Beach or our affiliates programs, until
such concerns or conditions have been taken care of to the person submitting
the concern(s) personal satisfaction.
- Adults that bring children into a Thunder Beach complex or our affiliates business to which Thunder Beach is connected, are solely responsible for the health and safety of those children. Know where these children are at all times.
• If you are going to say anything to anyone while you are at a Thunder Beach
complex, it must be positive... even if you are talking to your wife, husband , best friend or co-worker.
- Unsportsmanlike : There shoudn’t be any. Have fun! Laugh a lot! Let your hair down and participate in the different contests.
- No outside food or beverages may be brought into Thunder Beach. There is one exception; Only small 16 oz. bottles of water may be brought into the Thunder Beach complex. All other food and drink including energy drinks, Gatorade, must be purchased from the existing business that Thunder Beach is working with at a particular location.
Corporate Parties: Recreational :
League levels of play
Recreational Sand Volleyball
-Play as you would at a friend’s cabin
-Slight lifting/carrying allowed
-6x6 mixed (3 men & 3 women)
- IMPORTANT :
- a very rec team that plays a semi rec team can request that a team voids the rule that a woman must make at least one of the hits before the ball goes
- over the net and the other team must accept to play without that rule. That doesn’t mean that their team can not continue to play with a woman making one of the hits before a ball crosses the net. It simply means that the team requesting that said rule not be played, that they can send the ball over without a woman making a hit and not be called for a violation.
RESPONSIBLE SPIKE RULE
Teams playing in Recreational Volleyball must play the responsible spike rule.
The responsible spike rule is simply that no one may spike it on a person in
recreational play that has no hope of returning it.
Competitive Sand Volleyball
SELF REFERRED GAMES. PLAYERS ARE EXPECTED TO CALL ILLEGAL HIT, TOUCHES , NET VIOLATIONS ETC. ON THEMSELVES. GOOD PLAYERS KNOW
WHEN THEY HAVE MADE A VIOLATION AND THEY HAVE NO PROBLEM CALLING IT ON THEMSELVES, ESPECIALLY BEFORE THE OTHER TEAM DOES. IF CALLING A VIOLATION ON ANOTHER TEAM PLEASE REMEMBER TO DO IT IN A RESPECTFUL MANNER.
-USAV Beach rules
-6x6 mixed (3 men & 3 women)
-4x4 mixed (any combination)
-2x2 (any combination)
Weather Corporate Party: Come on out and we will party any way inside the bowling center and then go out when the weather improves. Our courts drain well and we should be able to play 15 -20 minutes or less after a rain.
Weather ( League Play )
- If there is a question about playing due to weather, please go to the our website: thunderbeachparklanes.com. On our website the message that will scroll the across the top of the page;
• Being played as scheduled
• TBD: means that you should plan on being present at game time, but check
with thunderbeachparklanes.com a half hour before game time.
• Games being played, but backed up
- Canceled! Games will not be played that evening.
• Once the team entry fee has been paid, a team can add people to their team
roster at any time without any additional cost. When a team adds players
it is the captain’s responsibility to see that anyone who plays for their team signs the Thunder Beach team roster and release form.
• Teams should plan on arriving at least 15 minutes before their scheduled
game so they are ready to start their game on time.
• If you are going to be short players just ask someone to sub in for the night
and have them sign in on a team roster and release form.
- Teams must check in with the Thunder Beach volleyball coordinator each night when they arrive to play their match so the volleyball coordinator knows they are present and ready to play and so the volleyball coordinator can tell them about any special events or promotions
Mikasa: The Official Thunder Beach Game Ball
• You can always bring your own volleyball for warm up/practice.
•Mikasa VL3000 is the official Thunder Beach game ball that teams must use for their games.
Checking Out Volleyballs
• The team captain or their adult representative may check out a Mikasa game ball by leaving their drivers license or a set of keys. Each Mikasa Volleyball is
numbered and when you return the Mikasa game ball with the correct number on it our volleyball coordinator will give back your keys or your driver’s license. We suggest that you turn in a set of keys for the ball. You won’t be able to get into your car and go home without your keys.
Matches : Corporate Parties: Schedule to fit the companies party time frame..
Matches : Nightly League play:
- On a normal night of play a single match consists of 3 games to 15 points, must win by 2 points. Maximum of 18 points.
- If a play is not finished when the hour of play is to end, the team who is ahead when time is called is the winner of the 3rd game.
• On nights when there is a double hitter, plan on spending at least an hour and a half for the 2 matches.
• A double hitter consists of 2 matches. 1 match of 2 games to 15 against team
A and a 2nd match against team B... 2 games to 15. In a double hitter the first
team to 15 points in each game is the winner. You do not have to win by 2
Officiating Corporate Party: Honor system ( just for fun so
the only things called are when someone is into the net, the guy - girl rule ( if played) , limited number of overhand serves, and whether a ball is in or out of the lines.
Officiating Nightly League Play
- All league play and most tournaments are self-refereed.
• Recreational-Cabin Volleyball is very loose and the only things a team should call would be net, lines or hand offs.
• In our competitive leagues, players should expect the other team to call lifts,
carries and double hits. You chose the level of play and good volleyball players
know when they have violated a rule of play, so if you’re a good volleyball player or if you want to be a good volleyball player, call it on yourself before the other team has to.
Reporting Scores Corporate Party and Nightly League Play
It is the responsibility of both captains to report the score that night
after the games have been played. Failure to report a score will result In
the loss of games won for that night for the team failing to report the
scores to the volleyball coordinator.
- Please submit all pictures taken for the evening to the volleyball coordinator so we can upload them to Thunder Beach Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and so your team can be eligible for the weekly prizes.
Beginning A Match
- Start the 1st game of a match by volleying for side or serve or flipping a coin. After the first game of a match the loser of the previous game always starts the next game by serving.
• A person may serve anywhere behind the endline.
• A person may not step over the endline before he/she serves.
Serving Recreational Volleyball (Cabin Volleyball)
• In Recreational Volleyball, (Cabin Volleyball), a player may serve
either overhand or underhand. If a person chooses to serve overhand
he/she may only serve 3 overhand in a row and then one underhand
before going back to serve any more overhand serves.
- You may not block or attack a serve at the net.
- No jump serves or sky-ball serves in Recreational Volleyball (Cabin Volleyball)
Serving Competitive Volleyball
- Unlimited serves of any kind
- You may not block or attack a serve at the net.
The Game - Recreational and Competitive
- Maximum of three hits per side.
• In recreational (Cabin Volleyball) if there is more then one hit on a side a woman must make at least one of those hits.
• You may not block or attack a serve at the net. ( league play only )
• Teams must have at least as many women as men on the court at any given
time. Most teams play with three men and three women (not including subs),
but it is not unusual to see four women and two man teams playing in coed
leagues. Coed rules also state that if a ball is hit more than once per side, than a woman needs to be one of the hits. ( league play only )
• In competitive volleyball you must bump the serve and a woman must
make at least one hit on a ball before it goes back across the net. The exception
to this rule is on a hard driven ball that is blocked and returns over the net.
( league play only )
- Blocking does not constitute a contact and any player may make the first contact of the ball after a block.
• If two or more non-blocking teammates contact the ball at the same time it is
considered one contact and either player may make the next contact.
• If opponents simultaneously contact the ball over the net, the ball remains in
play and the team receiving the ball is entitled to have 3 new hits.
• While blocking the ball a player may touch the ball beyond the net provided the players does not interfere with the opponents play. ( league play only )
• Back row players may not come to the net to block or attack. ( league play only )
- A player may contact the volleyball with any part of his/her body provided that the ball is contacted cleanly. Heading the ball / using feet is okay.
• A player may contact the ball only once before another person contacts the ball.
• A ball may be played off the net.
- A ball that hits the top of the net and goes over is okay for the serving team and the receiving team must play it or they lose a point
The Wind Rule
• In a three game match if you have the wind at your back the first game your opponent will have the wind at their backs during the second game. In a three game match, the loser of the second game will have the wind at their back for the third game.
•. If the volleyball coordinator does not let people know of this, teams may decide among themselves to play this rule.
• If the volleyball coordinator determines that the Wind Rule is in play all teams must comply.
• In a double hitter, with only two games per match, the team with the wind in the first game will change sides and be against the wind for the second game.
Rule violations that result in a side out or point
Reminder: When you call a violation on another team do so in a
sportsmanlike manner: if there is any, and I mean any question from the
other team about the rule violation, AUTOMATICALLY REPLAY THE POINT
WITH NO CONTRADICTORYCOMMENTS... “YOU KNOW IT WAS IN” OR
“YOU KNOW THAT A WOMAN DID NOT TOUCH THE BALL’, ETC.
- Failure to serve the ball over the net
• Stepping over the end line while serving ( league play only )
- Serving out of service order ( league play only )
• No girl making a hit on the ball before the volleyball is sent over the
net when there is more then one hit on a side ( WHEN BOTH TEAMS AGREE TO PLAY THIS RULE OTHERWISE WHEN ONE TEAM ASK TO PLAY WITH OUT THIS RULE THE OTHER TEAM MUST AGREE TO PLAY WITHOUT THE RULE.) league play only )
• In Recreational play going under the net to play the ball
• Dangerous Play: Playing the ball outside the court boundary lines in such a
manner that it may cause injury to yourself or to someone else
- Touching the net while playing the ball
REMEMBER... THIS IS FOR A GOOD TIME
NO HEADACHES! NO HASSLES !
BE NICE TO EVERYONE! BEING NICE COST YOU NOTHING AND THE REWARDS CAN BE HUGE! PEOPLE WILL LIKE YOU !
THANK YOU FOR PLAYING WITH THUNDER BEACH! WE APPRECIATE YOU!